With lots of free time to spare during this coronavirus quarantine, you’ve probably asked yourself – what’s there to do while stuck indoors?
Well, there are plenty of ways to amuse yourself, from watching Netflix’s series like ‘Tiger King’ to hosting Zoom parties with your buddies. Even with lots of fun things to do from home, nothing will give you greater satisfaction at the end of the day than knowing that you’ve expanded your knowledge and skill set. Instead of sitting around worrying about the invisible enemy that is the coronavirus or entertaining yourself from dusk to dawn, you should use your downtime to learn web development basics from home.
If the idle quarantine time is making you wonder whether it’s possible to learn web development basics from home for free, the answer is YES! In this article, we have offered valuable insights that will help you to figure out the web development basics from home. Read on to learn more.
Where Can I Learn Web Development For Free?
The internet has thousands of websites promising to teach you how to learn web development basics from home for free. But riddled with inconsistencies, most of the sites present a confusing learning journey. Here, we discuss five websites that systematically provide free web development courses.
- Mozilla Developer Network: Created by the developers of the Mozilla Firefox browser, this website teaches you web development from sketching to hosting. It uses articles and tutorials during explanations.
- Coursera: Coursera provides more than 3,500 courses from universities around the globe. You can learn web development as well as the basics of computer science. While learning is free, you must pay to get a certificate.
- Khan Academy: If you prefer being guided by an expert when learning web development, Khan Academy is the right resource for you. It provides videos and audios by experts. They also present you with an interactive screen for writing code and showing code output in real-time for free.
- MIT OpenCourseWare: Presenting over 100 courses curated by masters of tech (MIT), this resource takes you beneath the surface of web development. It has self-guided beginner courses as well as graduate courses.
- HTML5 Rocks: Created by Google, this platform offers a wide range of tutorials and articles on all manner of web development topics. This learning platform is not only intended for beginner audiences, but it’s also intended to help intermediate and advanced developers.
Aside from the above six websites, there are many others that offer free web development courses. Be sure to compare different sites to find the one that you like.
How Can I Learn Web Development On My Own?
After following a tutorial and getting the basics, follow the following steps:
- Imagine a web project that interests you. It can be anything – a login system, pets’ websites. Use your tutorial knowledge to try building it.
- Mess up and find solutions. Sources of solutions are diverse, including videos, tutorials, and Stack Overflow. Remember, solving problems is the fastest way of learning.
- Take on another project. Use the same framework or learn a new one. Be sure to be working on something interesting to keep yourself motivated. Do not be shy to ask questions on online developer forums.
Is Web Development Hard? How Long Will It Take To Learn Web Development?
The time taken to learn web development basics from home varies from person to person. Experts agree that if you dedicate four hours per day, you can learn web development in three to four months. However, experienced web developers have years of learning. If you want to be a pro web developer, therefore, you must be ready to commit yourself to years of training.
Is HTML Worth Learning?
Yes is the most straightforward answer. While HTML was a mark-up language for static web pages in the past, improvements in HTML5 has given it many uses. Every website uses HTML. Some phone and desktop apps, custom software, smart TVs, and games use HTML and CSS. If you are planning to get into a career focused on UI (User Interface), HTML is a must-have.
Start Building Your Web Development Career
If you’re a good self-learner and were born with coding sense, then there is no limit to what you can do as far as web development is concerned. You can learn to create stuff like websites, games, and mobile apps while at the comfort of your home and at your own pace.
Over 380 websites go online every minute. Web development is a vast, growing field that requires new talent. With resources on how to learn web development from home for free increasing, all you need is the time that quarantine is presenting you. Start learning web development basics from home for free today!